Thursday, May 28, 2009
Get Free Art n’ Stuff
The website “The Art in You” (www.theartinyou.com) was created because I wanted to start a business and sell altered items and art N’ stuff! I started spending a lot of money along the way making a website and buying STUFF!
Then I started to say to myself “what the heck am I doing and why?” I really couldn’t answer that question. My focus has changed so much in the last year.
“The Art in You” is a play on words because you can take the “he” in THE and add to “Art” and get HEART. Get it…the heart in you or as I saw it you put your heart in art.
Right now I’m not putting my HEART into my art I seem to think I need create a store, a business leaving no time for creativity. But WHY? What’s the point? We all like money but will it bring me more happiness? No! Do I need it to live? No, thank goodness. Will it frustrate me trying to figure out what to sell, what to buy? YES Can I compete with the big stores, blogs, and online sites? DO I want to compete with others? No….Hey! Maybe I need to re-think what I’m doing.
I love to have my friends over to create, share and they inspire me to create. I have unique items but I want to use them, I don’t want to sell them! When I first spot an item that I think I might want to use in my art, I am “pulled” to its rust, its beauty, its shape…THEY call to me :}
Now I’m not rich by any means but I’m retired and getting by and try to enjoy each day. I have friends that give their time and money to charities and worthwhile causes. I volunteer to help and have done that throughout my lifetime and will continue to do that. Still I want to give but in a different way.
So I’ve come up with a NEW plan that will bring me joy and I think inspire me to create. From now on what I intend to do is:
1. Use my blog http://www.theartinyou.blogspot.com to share Art N’ Stuff!
2. Each month I will have at least one project I will complete or have previously completed and willing to give to someone. Hopefully someone out there will want it tee hee If I meet a creative block or “life gets in the way” I might give away other things I have such as embellishments, books, scrapbook paper, vintage STUFF….hopefully it will be of value to someone.
3. I will post pictures and give it away. People can add a comment to each item they would like to be in the drawing for (one post per item please) and sometime during the month I’ll draw a number (thru a random number generator) and pick a winner and I will mail that month’s art or supplies to the winner. NO you will not even have to pay shipping, I’ll pay it. YES, I will ship internationally too.
4. Create, create, create…..
5. I will send my art off into the world to help me become a happier and hopefully a more creative person and at the same time, make someone happy because we all like FREE stuff…well at least I love FREE stuff :}
6. No strings………there is nothing to buy, nothing to fill out, nothing sign up for. I hate it when something says FREE but means I have to jump thru hoops to get it and usually end up frustrated.
What you can do:
1. When I list the monthly project(s) to be given away. Write a comment. Like “I want it” or “Are you crazy, I live in Iceland?” or “I don’t really want it but it’s free” or whatever “nice” message you would like to leave as a comment. Don’t forget to give me a way to contact you.
2. Some months I intend to give away more than one piece of Art N’ STUFF. Some altered art, vintage items or Scrapbooking items. So on those months, I will have separate postings. Leave a comment only on the ones you want to get a chance to win.
3. If you feel like it, pass the word on about FREE Art N’ STUFF by blogging about it. Grab my logo “Dolly Sezs” with my link and post it on your blog, email it to friends, etc. so others can come and get Art n’ Stuff for FREE.
4. Let me know you posted my image and link on your blog or website and I will put a reciprocal link to your website on my site.
5. Do you have something to give away for FREE (I mean Free, no strings please)? Let me know and I’ll blog about it.
Now I’m not completely CRAZY or willing to Give It all away so from time to time I will post something for sale on this blog or on my Etsy site. If you feel like buying something to support my “postage budget” or like what you see, buy it!! No pressure….. remember, from now on I am working for YOU and my creative spirit.
I already feel lighter and have a greater sense of urgency to Create. Yay! Have a great month. Check back in on June 1 to see what my first giveawayS are.
Have a wonderful, creative week!