Sunday, January 31, 2010

Button, Button, Whose Got the Button?

Luckily, my friend Maryam has a good eye and while at the Antique show spotted a flyer for a "Button Show" in San Diego and she was good enough to pass that info on to me.

Of course, there would be button collectors but who knew their obsession is as great as us that love scrapbooking and altering and always on the hunt for vintage items :}

Apparently, there are National Societys of Button Collectors and lots of states and cities have their own club for sharing knowledge and buying, selling and trading their buttons.

This small but mighty group set up their booths in a small room and outside in the patio, maybe only 8 to 10 vendors but TONS of buttons. Buttons from the turn of the century, buttons made of cloth, made of bakelite, made of plastic. Buttons themed such as pets, metal, victorian, wooden, sparkly, etc.










Seems these collectors take cardboard and poke holes in rows and attach their buttons so you can thumb thru there boxes of cardboard sheets looking for just the perfect button.

I bought this card of buttons (see it underneath my other finds) for only $3. I thought I could maybe add some clipart where some buttons are missing and frame it...very cute. I went for for just a quick look and stayed quite awhile.



This club is so generous as they had coffee and cookies and rolls and even put out lunch for everyone.

Here are some of my other "finds". Can't wait to add them to my button box!





1 comment:

Mammabellarte Rita Reade said...

Ohohmy! love the rhinestones buttons, I need them.