Saturday, October 4, 2008

A Studio of Norma's Dreams

----

I am in the middle of a home remodel and after that is completed, I will be turning our master bedroom into an art studio for ME. yay!!! So I want INPUT and ideas. Where better to turn than to someone that has created her own special place.

Luckily, Maryam of the Cancer Coping Center had told me about some classes held locally that I hadn't heard of. Maryam passed an email on to me about those classes and I discovered another artist that got to build her own Art Studio :}

Her name is Norma and she lives in Leucadia. I emailed Norma and she graciously told me to stop on by and check out her studio. She also gave me lots of great insight for what a studio should have....lights, and more lights, outlets, storage, etc. So....yesterday Jane and I took a little field trip to Lecaudia to check out her studio.

She has built her studio behind her home and there is nothing blocking a beautiful view of the ocean from the doorway.



Wow! what a wonderful place to create and what a blessing to have all that space to do your work.













Norma has special workshops at her studio by local and worldwide known artists. She has open studio days for those that want to come and work on their art.

Norma has a Mosaic class coming up at the end of October so I thought I would advertise it for her. If you are interested, email her at: yuskos@cox.net

Class info per Norma..........

WHO: Katerine England (www.katherineengland.com) will give a 2-day glass mosaic workshop. Katherine is an accomplished mosaic (and many other media) artist...check out her website! Her extensive experience includes HUGE outdoor installations, public art commissions, and teaching at ArtFest and the Muckenthaler Cultural Center.

WHERE: my studio in Leucadia

WHEN: Sat and Sun., Oct. 25 and 26, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. both days

HOW MUCH: the cost is $160 plus $30 lab fee (that includes everything...glorious colored glass, wood pattern, tools such as nippers and cutters, grout, glue, etc.) She will bring extras of her favorite tools if you want to buy them.

WHAT: Katherine will help us create a brightly colored glass mosaic (see attached photos). Each person will choose one of five pattens: cat, skull (it is almost the Day of the Dead), heart, butterfly, or seahorse . You will learn various cutting techniques, about what materials to use where (both for indoor and outside mosaics), and everything you ever want to know about adhesives, surfaces, grouts, colorants, sealants, tools, glasses, tiles.

WHY: you will go home with a wonderful finished mosaic plus information sheets to last a life-time.

DISCLAIMER: we are not responsible if you rush home and smash your favorite china.

SUPPLY LIST: bring your own lunch (I will supply refreshments) and a smile

CLASS SIZE: minimum 10, maximum 12

OTHER STUFF: feel free to contact Katherine directly with questions. Her e-mail is queenladeeda@yahoo.com. You can bring any special piece that you may want to add to your mosaic. For a broader creative experience send Katherine or me an e-mail asking for her list of interesting mosaic artists that might influence and inspire.

HOW TO SIGN UP: e-mail me

Thanks Norma, your Studio is fantastic and no wonder you love showing it off.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh lucky you that you are getting your own studio!!

~S